This competition is restricted to current UofA employees; internal candidates will be applying.
This position has a term length of one year, with the possibility of extension based on the availability of funding and offers a comprehensive benefits package which can be viewed at: Faculty & Staff Benefits .
The Department of Surgery is comprised of 15 divisions including cardiac, plastic, orthopedic, and neurosurgery, and offers programs in undergraduate, postgraduate, and graduate studies. The Division of General Surgery is the largest of the surgical divisions. Its faculty and staff are committed to making positive contributions to clinical care, teaching, and research in specialized areas such as breast reconstruction, transplantation, and laparoscopic surgery. The overarching mission of the department and its divisions is to restore health through surgical intervention, remembering patient dignity and comfort are integral to overall health. Further information on the University of Alberta and Department of Surgery can be found at www.ualberta.ca/surgery .
Reporting to Dr. Sandy Widder, Associate Professor, Division of General Surgery, the Administrative Assistant will provide day-to-day support in both the academic and clinical aspects of the surgeon’s role. The incumbent will be responsible for ensuring that the office operates seamlessly, as well as providing a positive first point of contact for both patients and internal stakeholders.
- Receives phone calls from the public and provides information or directs them appropriately
- Prioritizes and directs all incoming and outgoing mail and e-mail
- Maintains Associate Professor’s calendar including booking meetings and resolving conflicting demands
- Composes correspondence including letters, responses to inquiries, and faxes
- Types and edits/proofreads reports, budgets, manuscripts, manuscript reviews, and PowerPoint presentations
- Prepares and maintains the Associate Professor’s curriculum vitae, annual reports, and teaching materials
- Assists with the preparation of research papers, ethics applications, and grant applications as per agency guidelines
- Manages travel arrangements including booking flights and hotels; prepares travel expense claims for submission
- Works with General Surgery Patient Care Coordinators to schedule/organize surgeries
- Handles all patient inquires; books patient appointments and tests; books referral appointments; confirms appointments with patient/referring physician
- Liaises with physicians and staff to maintain daily cancelation and wait-list data
- Enters medical appointments and corresponding information into electronic medical record (EMR) scheduling software
- Prepares Alberta Health Care billings; reconciles invoices with payments
- Creates and maintains patient-related, teaching and research databases
- Transcribes confidential dictation (medical and administrative) including consults, necessary documentation from tests, surgery, day surgery, letters of reference, etc.
- Minimum High School Diploma supplemented with post-secondary training in Medical Office Administration or a related area
- Minimum 2-3 years related administration experience in a clinical or academic environment
- Experience with ethics submissions, manuscript editing, and annual reports or related academic writing
- Medical terminology training
- Proficiency with University of Alberta and University of Alberta Hospital policies and procedures
- Computer proficiency with MS Office (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint) and scheduling software (Accuro, Q-genda, eClinician, Netcare)
- Keyboarding speed of 60 wpm and experience with transcription
- Excellent interpersonal and communication (verbal and written) skills including strong ability to demonstrate professionalism, confidentiality, and diplomacy
- Strong organization, accuracy, and attention to detail
- Excellent spelling, grammar, editing and proofreading skills
Note: Online applications are accepted until midnight Mountain Standard Time of the closing date.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.
Executive, Human Resources Business Partnering, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 15 days ago
Human Resources Job Description The Executive will provide day-to-day support towards the full spectrum of HR Operation and Talent Acquisition functions. In addition, the Executive will be involve...
154119 Professor Of Equine Orthopaedics, University of Copenhagen, Denmark, about 5 hours ago
Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences University of Copenhagen The university seeks to appoint a full professor of Equine Orthopaedic disease and surger...
Euro Bio Imaging Bio Hub Scientific Project Manager For Eosc Life, EMBL, Worldwide, 1 day ago
The Euro-BioImaging Bio-Hub hosted by the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) is seeking for a highly motivated science professional to support the EC-funded EOSC-Life project (www.eosc-l...
Laboratory Scientist (Wellington), University of Otago, New Zealand, 10 days ago
Laboratory Scientist (Wellington)-2101099 UNIVERSITY OF OTAGO (WELLINGTON) Our Department We are proud to be a part of New Zealand’s first medical school who has been providing New Zealand with a ...
Media And Pr Officer, University of Wollongong, Australia, 21 days ago
Job Description Media and Public Relations Officer Strategic Marketing and Communications Division Fixed Term, full-time appointment (1 year) Level 5: $69,134 - $78,183 + 17% superannuation The S...
Non Tenure Track Clinical Assistant Professor, Department Of Surgery, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 15 days ago
Work type: Full-time Department: Department of Surgery (21700) Categories: Professoriate Staff Applications are invited for appointment as Non-Tenure Track Clinical Assistant Professor in the Depa...