Glasgow College, UESTC seeks to appoint English language teaching professionals to support our English language delivery and assessment. The posts are based in Chengdu, China. Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, we can only guarantee job offers to candidates who are currently based in China.
Estimated date to start: 1st September 2021 (Note: please leave 2-3 months to prepare the documentations for a Chinese work permit.)
The University of Electronic Science and Technology of China (UESTC) and the University of Glasgow (UofG), UK, established the Glasgow College, UESTC in January 2013. Our joint degree programmes (Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Electrical and Electronic Engineering with Communications) are delivered and assessed entirely in English.
English language (EL) provision is an integral part of the programme and is credit-bearing. The EL programme currently delivers teaching to approximately 1000 undergraduate students in the first 2 academic years of their degree.
The EL programme has a dual function:
- To develop the English language skills that our students need to fully engage in their academic programme.
- To develop the skills that our students need to achieve the required English language level* to progress on the joint programme.
*equivalent to IELTS band 6
This is an exciting time to join Glasgow College, UESTC as an English teacher. In September 2019, we rolled out an innovative English for Academic Purposes (EAP) programme for both general and specific contexts.
We are keen to offer work to teachers who have a desire to develop professionally. We provide an integrated CPD programme designed and delivered by University of Glasgow teacher educators. We also offer opportunities in areas such as curriculum and syllabus development, materials writing, assessment work and teacher education.
Main Duties and responsibilities
- Teaching to a maximum of 25 academic hours per week. These hours include classroom-based work, small group workshops and 1-1 tutorials. (1 academic hour = 45minutes)
- Course and lesson planning
- Student assessment and record keeping
- Participation in general and team meetings and CPD sessions.
- Liaison and collaboration with the Head of College, members of the management team and academic staff. This might include admin work such as course coordination, documents proofreading and admission support, etc.
Compensation and benefits
- Base pay: 12000RMB-15000RMB per month (pre-tax), depending on skills and experience.
- Additional package: 3000RMB (pre-tax) paid together with base pay monthly for accommodation and air ticket subsidy.
- Expenses reimbursement: a maximum of 400 pounds. Expenses in relation to work permit documentation include police check application fee, legalization of police check, degree certificate and teaching qualification certificate, Z visa application fee.
- Insurance & Medical Care: foreign teachers with one-year contract are entitled to commercial health insurance for foreigners. (Details available in the contract.)
- Holiday: pro rata holiday entitlement. (Details will be shown in the contract.)
- 1-3 year, fixed term contract, with possibility of contract extension
- Paid insurance and Chinese Public holidays
- Regular staff development
- Career development opportunities
Requirements (Qualifications, skills and experience)
- Undergraduate degree
- Cambridge CELTA/Trinity Cert TESOL or equivalent qualification containing observed and assessed teaching practice*
- Ideally 2 years’ experience of teaching and assessing English language at B1 level and above
- Excellent organisational, communication and inter-personal skills
- Ability to work under pressure
- Ability to lead and work well in teams
- Willingness to work flexibly to meet the needs of the programme
- Diploma level TESOL qualification (Cambridge Delta/Trinity Diploma in TESOL or equivalent) *
- Masters in Applied Linguistics, TESOL, ELT or other relevant discipline*
- Previous experience of teaching EAP and/or IELTS.
- IELTS (or other international test) teaching and/or examiner experience
- Experience of teaching in a Higher Education setting
- Experience of teaching and assessing undergraduate/foundation students in an East Asia/Southeast Asia university environment
- Experience of teaching English for STEM (particularly engineering)
- Ability to use ICT effectively including use of a virtual learning environment (e.g. Moodle)
*Please note we will consider alternative qualifications and experience on their merit.
We are keen to offer work to candidates who have a desire to develop professionally. There are opportunities for capacity building activities in areas such as curriculum and syllabus development, materials writing, assessment work and teacher education.
How to apply:
- An updated CV/resume in MS Word or PDF version
- Copy of academic qualifications (highest level degree)
- Teaching qualification certificates (e.g CELTA/ Trinity Cert TESOL /DELTA)
- Passport scanned copy
- One or two reference letters that shows ideally two-year full-time teaching experience
Please email to Claire Zheng at email@example.com directly.
Brief Introduction to Glasgow College
Glasgow College is a unique joint education institute between University of Glasgow and University of Electronic Science and Technology of China (UESTC) — member of Project 985. The partnership has built on their shared strengths in Engineering. According to Discipline Ranking from U.S. News in 2015, UESTC ranked No. 81 best global universities for engineering. Both universities are committed to combine the best features of the British and Chinese university systems and deliver undergraduate and postgraduate study in Chengdu, China.
Established in 2013, Glasgow College has over 1850 students enrolled. All assessment and formal teaching at the College is conducted in English. Each programme will be accredited by QAA and IET. 50% of teaching staff come from University of Glasgow, and 50% of teaching staff are from UESTC.
For more information, please visit at http://www.gla.uestc.edu.cn/english
Brief introduction of UESTC:
Renowned as China's cradle for the national electronic industry, University of Electronic Science and Technology of China (formerly Chengdu Institute of Radio Engineering) is based in Chengdu, a city with over a thousand-year-old cultural history in "the land of abundance". As one of the seven earliest key universities in national defence, UESTC became one of the nation's key universities in 1960. In 1997 it was included as one of the first "Project 211" universities, a Chinese initiative to develop 100 first-class universities and a number of key fields of research for the 21st century. In 2001, UESTC was admitted into the nation's Project 985, receiving special support for developing world-class universities and world-famous research-oriented universities. In June 2017, UESTC was admitted into the nation’s “Double First-class Initiative”, aiming at developing world-class universities and first-class disciplines. UESTC has two national key disciplines of first level, Electronic Science Technology and Information & Communications Engineering, which ranked A+ in the Discipline Quality Assessment of Higher Education conducted by the Ministry of Education (MoE) of the People’s Republic of China in 2017. The number of A+ disciplines in UESTC has ranked the first in West China.
More information is available at http://en.uestc.edu.cn/
Chengdu, the capital city of Sichuan province, is the home of the Giant Panda, the center of science and technology, culture, trade, tourism and transportation in the southwest of China.
Situated in the southwest of China, the Sichuan province has a large population with a coverage of 485 thousand square kilometres. It boasts a long history, splendid culture and over 4500 years’ civilization, with an abundance of ancient temples, towns and scenic spots. Sichuan is also home to many houses world cultural heritage sites, including Jiuzhai Valley, Mt. Qingcheng, Dujiangyan Irrigation Project, Mt.Emei, the Leshan Giant Buddha and Sanxingdui Ruins. The region is known for its abundant wealth, honest and generous people, mild climate, and wealth of cultural and tourist resources. If you want to become acquainted with the rich culture of China, taste the unique ethnic customs in the country, Sichuan would be an excellent first choice.
More information is available at https://www.gochengdu.cn/
Assistant Professor In China Europe Relations, University of Amsterdam (UvA), Netherlands, 4 days ago
What do we require of you? You are a dynamic and ambitious researcher with a strong profile, demonstrable by international publications and an international academic network. Your publications sho...
Teacher Of English For Academic Purposes, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 7 days ago
Job Title Four full-time Teachers of English for Academic Purposes (EAP) at NUIST-Reading Academy / College of Liberal Arts Description Applications are invited for four full time posts of Teacher...
Professor In Computer Science, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 18 days ago
Join a unique British University in China. University of Nottingham Ningbo China (UNNC) was the first Sino-foreign university to open its doors in China. This award winning campus offering a UK s...
Study Of Somatosensory Function In Monogenic Mouse Models Of Autism, Università degli Studi di Trento, Italy, 27 days ago
a)A PhD in Biology, Biotechnology, Physiology, Neurobiology, Neuroscience or related discipline is requested, awarded by an Italian university or a foreign one. Also admitted candidates who declar...
Assistant Professor In Product Design And Manufacture, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, about 22 hours ago
Join a unique British University in China. University of Nottingham Ningbo China (UNNC) was the first Sino-foreign University to open its doors in China. This award winning campus offering a UK s...
Course Tutor In English For Academic Purposes, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 10 days ago
Join a unique British University in China. The University of Nottingham Ningbo China (UNNC) was the first Sino-foreign university to open its doors in China. This award winning campus offering a ...