Established in 1946, with headquarters in Crystal City, Virginia, AIR is an independent, nonpartisan, not-for-profit organization that conducts behavioral and social science research on important social issues and delivers technical assistance and capacity building services domestically and internationally in health, social development, education, and workforce to a growing roster of clients and partners. Our mission is to generate and use rigorous evidence that contributes to a better, more equitable world.
AIR’s International Development Division (IDD) strives to improve the quality of life in developing countries by using rigorous research and evaluation to enhance education and social development. We work across a wide range of topics including workforce development, agriculture/food/nutrition, early childhood development, education, refugees and migration, social protection, water/sanitation/infrastructure, and women's empowerment in Africa, Asia, the Caribbean, Europe, Central and Latin America as well as the Middle East. The IDD generates policy-relevant evidence through rigorous monitoring, evaluations, and research; helps improve program design through continuous learning and adaptation; and works with local organizations and governments to build sustainable solutions based on evidence.
AIR is seeking a Literacy Specialist to work on a USAID-funded education and resilience project in Haiti. This activity will address the education needs of learners aged 5 to 18 years, focusing on the resilience focus zones. The project seeks to incorporate new, innovative solutions on how to improve equitable access to quality education, including ensuring the continuity of learning for all children in Haiti, by reinforcing the resilience of the education at the learner, school, institution, and institution levels.
The Literacy Specialist will lead the design, development, and roll-out of the literacy strategy in collaboration with in-country stakeholders. The Literacy Specialist will serve as the technical specialist and will be responsible for facilitating the design and oversight of literacy curriculum and materials development, training for teachers, development of content for distance learning from age 5-18 etc. Other responsibilities include:
- Develop school curricular materials based on effective pedagogical methodologies and strategies for learning to read and write
- Design and implement professional development activities for pre-service and in-service teachers on literacy instruction
- Provide coordination and support in linking evaluations and EGRA results to the development of appropriate supplemental instructional materials, teacher training and parental/community support for language skills acquisition
- Develop literacy content for distance learning modalities aimed at primary students, out-of-school youth, and teachers
- Assist in project quality assurance efforts
- Develop and maintain a good rapport with key government agencies
- Mentor and support staff through both training and technical supervision
- Ideal candidates will have a Masters or equivalent in a related area such as Education, Developmental Psychology, or Cognitive Psychology (focus on reading/literacy, early childhood, elementary, or middle/high school education is preferred)
- A minimum of five years of experience in the design and implementation of international development programs with demonstrated expertise in education and literacy
- Understanding and experience working in bilingual environments and supporting the transition from a local to a national language
- Demonstrated proficiencies in writing, conceptualizing, analyzing, and consulting
- Prior experience with USAID preferred
- Experience managing detailed projects and small teams preferred
- Fluency in French and Creole (required) and English proficiency preferred
Haitian locals are encouraged to apply.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability.
AIR adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
Academic Liaison Librarian, Coventry University, United Kingdom, about 2 hours ago
Applicants are invited to join the academic liaison team at Coventry University. We are looking for candidates who share our passion for excellence in student experience, inclusivity and innovatio...
Academic Staff Member (Literacy/Numeracy Support), Waikato Institute of Technology, New Zealand, 6 days ago
Bring your real-world skills in literacy and numeracy to your colleagues. You can impart your enthusiasm and passion for literacy and numeracy to colleagues at Wintec. Make a difference to your in...
Teaching Assistant, Data Literacy Programme, Office Of The President, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 24 days ago
Job Description The National University of Singapore (NUS) invites applications for the position of Teaching Assistant/Instructor/Lecturer, beginning from June 2021 for the Data Literacy Programme...
Associate Professor (Early Childhood Education), FLINDERS UNIVERSITY, Australia, 6 days ago
About Flinders Our bold vision, captured in our Strategic Plan: making a Difference: The 2025 Agenda, is to be internationally recognised as a world leader in research, an innovator in contemporar...
Senior Lecturer, University of Zielona Góra, Poland, 5 days ago
Organizing conferences; Ability to constructively cooperate and solve problems; Computer literacy. Designing syllabuses for subjects taught; Teaching classes in given subjects; Summative and forma...
Associate Professor Or Assistant Professor (Gamification), 4 Positions (# Of Pos: 4), Tampere University, Finland, 27 days ago
Tampere University and Tampere University of Applied Sciences create a unique environment for multidisciplinary, inspirational and high-impact research and education. Our universities community ha...