View All Vacancies
School of Computing and Digital Technology
Location: London (SW1H 9HP), England
Salary: £45,000 to £55,000 per annum
Closing Date: Sunday 06 December 2020
Interview Date: Tuesday 15 December 2020
4net Technologies and The School of Computing and Digital Technology at Birmingham City University (BCU) are looking to appoint a high calibre graduate for an exciting opportunity in the broad area of Data Science, Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning (AI/ML). Birmingham City University is a large and diverse place to study right in the heart of Birmingham City Centre.
The School of Computing and Digital Technology at Birmingham City University (BCU) is partnering with 4net Technologies on a 28 month Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP). 4net Technologies are a Cloud and Managed services company, working with clients to enable digital transformation across their organisation, improving end customers’ experience through innovative use of technology and intelligent services https://www.4net-technologies.com
This position forms part of the Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP) programme co-funding by a grant through Innovate UK. It is essential you understand how KTP works with business and the University, and the vital role you will play if you successfully secure this position. KTPs offer a wide range of benefits including access to a £4,667 Personal Development budget to upskill during the project. For more information on KTP please go to https://bcuadvantage.co.uk/innovate/ktp/
When invited for interview, candidates should be prepared to explicitly and effectively communicate how their skill-set and goals are aligned with those of 4net Technologies. This will usually involve some prior preparation in understanding the industry 4net Technologiesis situated within (cloud and managed services, unified communications, etc.), thus allowing the candidate to demonstrate the value they will bring to the project and its stakeholders.
The successful candidate will be employed by the University and will be based full time at 4Net Technologies in London (SW1H 9HP) where they will lead on the technical development of the project, supported by academics from BCU’s School of Computing and Digital Technology. Please note that due to the current situation caused by COVID-19 there may be some aspects of flexibility regarding these working arrangements.
The position is for 28 months. The expected start date is as soon as is practical. Candidates will require high level experience in Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML).
The Role and Responsibilities
The role requires the successful candidate to develop the following AI-based systems, and apply them effectively in a corporate context.
- A Sentiment analysis system for customer/agent interactions.
- Intelligent framework for identifying customer’s potential requests for more personalised services.
- An intelligent customer/agent matching (call routing) framework for better customer experience.
- An intelligent framework for predicting customer feedback for accurate measurement of customers' satisfaction
- Research latest techniques in data analytics, ML and NLP and apply them in the context of the KTP to plan system development while meeting milestones and deliverable deadlines.
- Work closely and effectively with the company's engineering and management staff along with BCU staff, taking a leading role in the development of various AI techniques into a unified solution.
- Develop a strategic and ambitious long-term plan for the use of AI technology within the company, enabling effective workflows and informed decision making.
- Help to embed and exploit the knowledge and expertise transferred during the project within the company, and communicate any technical concepts appropriately and effectively to different stakeholders.
- Lead the deployment, integration and testing of the newly developed AI technology within the company existing platform.
- Perform administrative tasks relevant to the project, as assigned by the line manager.
- Write technical reports for all stakeholders showing the progress of the project.
- Document research output in research papers and contribute to publications of international quality journals/conference during the course of the KTP.
- The Associate must also be adept at applying their knowledge to commercial projects, driving value and making an impact where possible, with an ability to solve problems and create innovative solutions.
Attributes, Qualifications, Skills and Experience
The Associate must have the following key skills and attributes to ensure the project’s successful completion;
- Excellent communication skills (in English) with the ability to effectively express ideas orally, graphically, and in written form. The ability to articulate complicated matters between the project stakeholders (e.g. company project team members and the academics).
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving and computational skills - Strong leadership and project management skills.
- Desire to develop commercial and business experience.
- Ability to work independently and with multi-skilled teams.
- Educated to undergraduate degree level in computer science or associated discipline, achieving at least a First Class (or 2:1 Honours)
- Preference will be given to those with a Masters degree or PhD within a Data Science or Machine Learning related field, or who can demonstrate sufficiently strong industrial experience within these areas.
Essential skills and experience
- Strong Industrial experience (preferably at least two years) working on developing software systems
- Proven experience in developing systems via at least one of the more commonly used programming languages within the software development industry (Java, C#, Python, C/C++, etc.)
- Proven experience and knowledge required in data modelling, software architecture, and design.
- Experience working with real time applications.
- Strong experience in Data Science and Machine Learning, especially when applied to Natural Language Processing tasks. Preference will be given to applicants who have either a strong industrial background (especially those with experience in R&D), or sufficient Academic experience in Data Science and Machine Learning at the postgraduate level.
- Proven understanding of data analysis and visualisation techniques along with associated tools (e.g. using Python Numpy, Pandas, etc).
- Proven understanding of best practice in data collection, wrangling, pre-processing and feature engineering.
- Proven understanding of the design, development and evaluation process of Machine learning models, accompanied by appropriate experience with major ML frameworks and libraries (e.g. Keras, PyTorch, scikit-learn, etc.)
- Proven experience of relevant Natural Language Processing techniques, accompanied by knowledge of appropriate libraries and frameworks commonly used within the area (e.g. NLTK, etc.).
- Prior knowledge, or experience, of transferring ML models from development to production.
- Understanding of the business communications / unified communications industry
Desirable skills and experience
- Understanding of contact centre operations and management.
- Understanding of deep learning models and artificial neural networks.
- An awarded [or recently submitted / near completion] Masters or PhD in subject specialism or equivalent.
- Writing technical documentation.
- Proven publication record.
- A Link to your evidence-backed professional portfolio (such as GitHub, Kaggle, etc.) demonstrating any software systems they have written before or analyses they have performed.
For more information on the role please contact Emmett Cooper and Shereen Fouad at: Emmett.Cooper@bcu.ac.uk / Shereen.Fouad@bcu.ac.uk
CLOSING DATE FOR ADVERT AND APPLICATIONS IS SUNDAY 06 DECEMBER 2020
INTERVIEWS WILL TAKE PLACE ON 15 DECEMBER AND WILL INCLUDE A SHORT PRESENTATION - Candidates will need to be prepared to explicitly and effectively communicate how their current skill-set and goals are aligned with those of 4Net Technologies and to demonstrate prior preparation in understanding the industry 4Net is situated within (cloud and managed services, unified communications, etc.)
The University is committed to internationalism and diversity and welcomes applications from all countries, faiths and backgrounds.
It is each individual successful applicants responsibility to ensure that they have permission to work in the UK. Some applicants may require sponsorship from the University and a visa from UKVI to take up the role if successful. More information on this can be found here: https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa
Some roles are not capable of sponsorship because they do not meet the UKVI criteria relating to skill and salary level. If you are unsure as to whether you would require sponsorship if successful, or whether the role is capable of sponsorship, please contact us: RTinbox@bcu.ac.uk
Please note on occasions where we receive a large number of applications, we may close the advert ahead of the publicised closing date. If this does happen, we will contact all candidates via email who have started but not yet completed their application, giving 48 hours’ notice. We would therefore advise that you submit your completed application as soon as possible.
Birmingham City University are an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.
Birmingham City University ('BCU') is committed to protecting your personal data and being transparent about what we do with your personal data. One of the ways we do this is through our privacy notices. For further information please click here .
Technical Developer Fixed Term For 24 Months , Birmingham City University ;, United Kingdom, 1 day ago
Interview Date: Thursday 18 February 2021 Sherlock HealthCare Services (SHS) and The School of Computing and Digital Technology at Birmingham City University (BCU) are looking to appoint a high ca...
Systems Developer/Engineer (Ktp Associate) Fixed Term For 24 Months , Birmingham City University ;, United Kingdom, about 24 hours ago
Salary: £34,000 to £42,000 per annum Full time / Fixed term contract - 24 months Closing Date: Sunday 07 February 2021 Interview Date: To be confirmed Reference: 122020-464 Hockley Mint Limited (H...
Assistant Lecturer/ Lecturer In Sociology And Black Studies (1x Permanent Post And 1x Fixed Term) , Birmingham City University ;, United Kingdom, 18 days ago
Location: Curzon Building 1x Permanent and 1x Fixed Term for 18 months With around 24,000 students, Birmingham City University is one of the UK's largest universities, providing teaching to studen...
Lecturer In Mechatronics / Robotics , Birmingham City University ;, United Kingdom, 24 days ago
We invite applications to join our team in the School of Engineering and the Built Environment in a dynamic, multidisciplinary environment. We are a practice-based school, our undergraduate progra...
Visiting Lecturer In Digital Media Technology (Dmt), Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 22 days ago
Visiting Lecturer in Digital Media Technology (DMT) Digital Media Technology Location: Birmingham, City Centre Campus Salary: Up to £45.14 per hour Closing Date: Open Until Filled Reference: 1...
Visiting Lecturer In The Built Environment, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 22 days ago
Visiting Lecturer in the Built Environment Engineering and the Built Environment Location: Birmingham, City Centre Campus Salary: Up to £45.14ph Closing Date: Open Until Filled Reference: 1220...