Evac+Chair International Ltd and Birmingham School of Architecture and Design at Birmingham City University (BCU) are seeking to appoint a highly qualified engineering graduate with an in-depth knowledge of strength of materials. Birmingham City University is a large and diverse place to study right in the heart of Birmingham City Centre.
The Birmingham School of Architecture and Design at Birmingham City University (BCU) is partnering with Evac+Chair International Ltd on a 24 month Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP). Evac+Chair International Ltd offers total ‘turnkey’ solutions in the manufacture and supply of the of various safety products including equipment for the transportation of mobility impaired patients in hospitals and ambulances. The company's main products include an award winning evacuation chair (the Evac+Chair), a variety of medical products branded under the Paraid Medical brand including patient trolleys, specialist patient and casualty handling equipment including many lifesaving accessories for paediatric transportation. https://www.evacchair.co.uk/
This position forms part of the Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP) programme co-funded by a grant through Innovate UK. It is essential that you understand how a KTP works with a business and the University, and the vital role you will contribute towards if you successfully secure this position. KTP’s offer a wide range of benefits including access to a £4,000 Personal Development budget for upskilling during the project. For more information on KTP please go to https://bcuadvantage.co.uk/innovate/ktp/
The successful graduate will be employed by Birmingham City University and will be based full time at Evac+Chair International Limited, Solihull, West Midlands, (B90 8AW) where they will lead on the technical development of the project and be supported by academics from BCU’s Birmingham School of Architecture and Design.
This is a fixed 24 months position after which you may be offered a permanent position. The expected start date is as soon as is practical. The role offers a fantastic opportunity for a well-motivated and capable individual to work with an innovative design and manufacture team at Evac+Chair International Ltd.
Roles and responsibilities
- To work on a work plan based 2 Year project “To Design a new mechanically driven mobility impaired transportation chair (MITC) for transporting patients into and out of NHS Ambulances and other worldwide ambulances, without the need for electrical assistance”.
- The role requires the successful candidate (Associate) to develop the use of lightweight/composite materials for load bearing structures in a custom built unpowered mobility impaired transportation chair’s (MITC).
- The work plan may change during the fixed term contract and the associate is expected to be adaptable and flexible during the KTP.
- The Associate will be expected to participate and present progress updates in regular meetings/presentations with senior management and the design team at Evac+Chair International Ltd.
- The Associate must also be adept at applying their skill sets to commercial projects, driving value and making a business impact, with an ability to solve problems and create innovative physical prototypes using new/composite materials.
- The Associate must have the following key attributes to ensure the project’s successful completion.
A good honours engineering degree or a postgraduate degree in an Engineering or related discipline. Ideally a minimum 2:1 undergraduate qualification in Engineering and a MSc. in Engineering degree with significant strength of materials knowledge.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Strong software simulation skills using Solidworks or ANSYS (preferable).
- Excellent communication skills to express ideas effectively, orally, graphically and in writing to articulate complex issues between the academics and the company project team members.
- An ability to work to tight deadlines (with attention to detail) and maintain high standards of work ethics.
- An ability and aptitude to work effectively as part of an interdisciplinary team; and self-management and planning skills to make optimum use of time; and
- Strong leadership skills in successfully implementing and embedding new innovations within a company or organisation.
- Practical experience of working with composite lightweight materials in products used for the transportation industry.
- Academic acumen to enable successful reporting through research publications in academic journals and marketing/ training materials;
- A clean UK driving license and a willingness to travel to utility contracts throughout the UK; and
- The Associate should be personable, enthusiastic, motivated, punctual, conscientious, trustworthy and a good team worker.
Must possess the correct level of technical and professional knowledge, skills relevant to the role and specialist subject area, and the ability to apply those skills appropriately to ensure the achievement of Evac+Chair business goals and core objectives.
- Advanced knowledge in the use of 3D software such as ANSYS, Solidworks or other leading 3D industry strength simulation software.
- An innovative and creative design engineer using innovative new lightweight materials as the main component in new product development.
- Management skills, project management, product development and competency in applied research methodology.
- Demonstrate practical prototype making skills and company product knowledge.
- Materials costing, presentation skills, ability to work as a team member, exposure to customers and suppliers.
- A realistic understanding of business and professional practice.
For more information on the role please contact Panch Suntharalingam at Panch.Suntharalingam@bcu.ac.uk or Malcolm Hastings at Malcolm.Hastings@bcu.ac.uk
To apply for this role, please complete our short application form online and upload a copy of your CV. We advise candidates to remove any personal information to ensure a fair and transparent recruitment process.
Please note that this position is not eligible for Tier 2 or 5 sponsorship.
This role will not attract sufficient points to obtain a sponsored Tier 2 visa under the points-based immigration system, however, applications are welcome from candidates who don’t currently have the right to work in the UK, but who would be eligible to obtain a visa via another route.
Please note on occasions where we receive a large number of applications, we may close the advert ahead of the publicised closing date. If this does happen, we will contact all candidates via email who have started but not yet completed their application, giving 48 hours’ notice. We would therefore advise that you submit your completed application as soon as possible.
Birmingham City University are an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.
Birmingham City University ('BCU') is committed to protecting your personal data and being transparent about what we do with your personal data. One of the ways we do this is through our privacy notices. For further information please click here .
Computer Vision / Machine Learning Developer – Fixed Term For 18 Months, Birmingham City University, United Kingdom, about 16 hours ago
View All Vacancies School of Computing and Digital Technology Location: Cannock, West Midlands Salary: £28,000 to £30,000 per annum Fixed Term Closing Date: Sunday 03 January 2021 Interview Date...
Data Scientist (28 Months Fixed Term), Birmingham City University, United Kingdom, about 16 hours ago
View All Vacancies School of Computing and Digital Technology Location: London (SW1H 9HP), England Salary: £45,000 to £55,000 per annum Closing Date: Sunday 06 December 2020 Interview Date: Tues...
Managing Director, Precision Health Technologies Accelerator 96548 Grade 10, University of Birmingham, United Kingdom, about 7 hours ago
Managing Director, Precision Health Technologies Accelerator - 96548 - Grade 10 - (200002T0) Description Location: University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham UK Full Time Salary: Competitive ...
Community And Engagement Volunteer Officer School Of English, Drama And Creative Studies 95587 Grade 6, University of Birmingham, United Kingdom, about 7 hours ago
Community and Engagement Volunteer Officer - School of English, Drama and Creative Studies - 95587 - Grade 6 - (200002P8) Description Position Details School of English, Drama and Creative Studies...
Ktp Associate (Mechanical Engineer Expert Tooling) (103445 1120) , University of Warwick, United Kingdom, about 5 hours ago
Vacancy Type/Job category Technical Department WMG Salary £32,000 (plus up to £4,800 training and development budget) Location University of Warwick, Expert Tooling & Automation Ltd in Coventry Va...
Policy And Data Analyst City Redi Birmingham Business School 96429 Grade 6, University of Birmingham, United Kingdom, 5 days ago
Policy and Data Analyst - City Redi - Birmingham Business School - 96429 - Grade 6 - (200002NL) Description College of Social Sciences Birmingham Business School City-Redi Location: University of ...