The Hebrew Studies section of the Department of Middle Eastern Studies at the University of Cambridge invites applications for a Postdoctoral Research Associate in the field of Hebrew Linguistics and Philology.
One of the major projects in the Hebrew Studies section is the compilation of a reference grammar of Biblical Hebrew. This is a major expansion and updating of Gesenius' Hebrew Grammar. The new grammar will bring together current knowledge of the different traditions of Biblical Hebrew, incorporate research on Biblical Hebrew that has been published in recent decades and incorporate new research on Biblical Hebrew undertaken by the research team in Cambridge. We are seeking a postdoctoral Research Associate to join the team working on this project.
Key activities associated with the role include:
- Drafting various sections of the reference grammar, in particular those relating to syntax. This would involve trawling the scholarly literature relevant to the topic of the section, undertaking where necessary primary research on the topic (especially quantificational studies) and collating where relevant different traditions of Biblical Hebrew.
- Publication of papers relating to new research undertaken in relation to the drafting of the sections of the grammar.
- Participation in the wider activities of the Hebrew and Semitic linguistics community in Cambridge, including contributions to seminars and assistance in grant-writing.
- Some undergraduate teaching, if the appointee so wishes.
Applicants must have:
- A PhD in the field of Biblical Hebrew linguistics or Semitic linguistics and scholarly publications that include linguistic studies of Biblical Hebrew.
- Preferably also knowledge of the languages of the ancient versions (Greek, Latin, Aramaic) and the ability to work with grammatically-tagged databases of Biblical Hebrew.
- Excellent written and oral communication and presentation skills.
- Experience in grant-writing
If you have any questions about this vacancy you can contact Professor Geoffrey Khan firstname.lastname@example.org , or about the application process, please contact Ruth Farley, HR Coordinator on SAHHR@admin.cam.ac.uk .
The closing date for applications is midnight (GMT) on Sunday 4 July 2021. We expect to hold interviews in the week commencing 12 July 2021 subject to change.
The funds for this post are available for 2 years in the first instance.
Click the 'Apply' button below to register an account with our recruitment system (if you have not already) and apply online.
Please quote reference GU27064 on your application and in any correspondence about this vacancy.
The University actively supports equality, diversity and inclusion and encourages applications from all sections of society.
The University has a responsibility to ensure that all employees are eligible to live and work in the UK.
Clinical Research Associate (Fixed Term) , University of Cambridge ;, United Kingdom, 18 days ago
Professor James B. Rowe is looking for a new Clinical Research Associate to join the translational research programs at the Cambridge Centre for Parkinson-Plus disorders. The Centre brings togethe...
Research Assistant/Associate In Data Driven Resilient Materials For Life (Fixed Term), University of Cambridge, United Kingdom, 11 days ago
A position exists, for a Research Assistant/Associate in the Department of Engineering to work on the development of biomimetic infrastructure materials as part of the £4.8M EPSRC-funded Programme...
Post Doctoral Research Fellow Mhra , Anglia Ruskin University ;, United Kingdom, 3 days ago
About ARU: ARU is a vibrant workplace and our University is gaining prominence both nationally and internationally. We have ambitious plans for the future and we are determined that our students a...
Clinical Career Development Fellow (Fixed Term) , University of Cambridge ;, United Kingdom, 23 days ago
The University of Cambridge has identified cardiovascular disease as a major research priority, and this has been endorsed by the recent award of a British Heart Foundation Research Excellence Awa...
Research Associate/Senior Research Associate (Fixed Term) , University of Cambridge ;, United Kingdom, 27 days ago
Salary: Research Associate, Grade 7, £32,816 - £40,322 Senior Research Associate, Grade 9, £41,526 - £52,559 This position is based in the Unit's Global Diet and Physical Activity group. The prima...
Non Clinical Intermediate Transition Fellow (Fixed Term) , University of Cambridge ;, United Kingdom, 23 days ago
**Please note appointment to Senior Research Associate is subject to approval by the Faculty Board of Clinical Medicine* The University of Cambridge has identified cardiovascular disease as a majo...