Campus: Downtown Phoenix
Academic Success Advs Coord
The College of Health Solutions is committed to supporting the success of our students during their time at ASU and beyond. We believe that a strong advising relationship is key to helping students navigate appropriate course selection, utilize university resources, and guide them on the academic path that will prepare them to reach their career goals. We are searching for an advisor that has experience in academic advising, is committed to serving a diverse student body, is collaborative and a creative problem solver. Successful applicants will have experience and interest in working with students and a desire to be a contributor on a team that believes in hard work and the university mission. Under general supervision, this adviser will be a key contributor to increasing student retention and graduation university-wide by supporting students in making timely progress toward a degree through a range of counseling and support strategies.
Advising & Admissions
CHS Student Success Hub
VP/EXEC VICE PROV DPC
Grant Funded Position
This is not a grant funded position and is not contingent on future grant funding.
$45,000 - $49,000 per year; DOE
14-June-2021 - EXTENDED
- Proactively monitor student academic performance, addresses, responds to, and works to resolve student concerns, questions, or issues and collaborates closely with students. Identifies all academic options including, but not limited to: degrees, tutoring, counseling, career services, success coaches, extracurricular activities, study abroad program(s), research, and internships; supports and provides counsel to students in selection of options best suited to the student's goals, interests, and skills.
- Provides individual and group academic advising and/or interacts with students in support of academic success. Works closely and collaboratively with students, faculty, and staff to support academic success.
- May act as a college/department/school representative to current and prospective students, faculty, staff, and external groups on issues related to academic success; attends and/or presents at orientation or recruiting events/activities/workshops.
- Manages escalated issues from both internal and external constituencies. Demonstrates mastery of conflict resolution principles and techniques.
- Acts as a leader to coordinate academic success programs or advising policy development and implementation. Utilizes and demonstrates fluency with a wide range of relevant and appropriate software, student development theory, and retention focused strategies.
- Prepares detailed documents, proposals, reports, and provides analysis of data for identification of trends.
- Adeptly uses multiple systems at the same time (such as student record databases, customer relationship management systems, degree progress tools, appointment systems).
- Actively shares and responds to feedback and insight regarding technology systems and their daily use, demonstrating leadership to staff and student employees. Maintains an openness to new tools utilized across the University to aid in student success and service excellence. Leads staff in implementing new tools.
- Escalates/redirects urgent or conflicting requests after attempting resolution. May seek to resolve complex issues and takes the lead on projects built around student support.
- Applies collaborative approaches and strategies to devise solutions for student requests and clearly develops and conveys the nuances of outcomes verbally and in writing.
- Navigates complex environments with evolving priorities and communication plans, establishes and maintains effective professional working relationships.
- Works as a university agent in ensuring ongoing satisfaction for students with their program and successful progress to completion using a variety of university data and programmatic direction as well as provides follow up.. Possesses a clear and holistic understanding of the unit goals of the college and/or departmental processes and expectations to help drive unit initiatives. Collaborates with leadership to provide solutions associated with specific programs or projects.
- May supervise/support Academic Success Advisors or student workers in the successful execution of their duties. This may include hiring, training, mentoring, development and/or managing performance for direct and/or indirect reports.
- Coordinates a program, portion of a large program, a group of activities and functions, or a project within a department or college directed to the retention and success of the student population. This may include conducting or completing assessment, evaluation, timelines, goals, and budget of the program.
- Ability to manage projects by engaging peers and/or students to complete project goals. Engages understanding of advising theories and practices for effective delivery of services.
- Acts as college/department liaison to internal and external constituents on issues related to academic success.
- May act as an instructor or course resource for faculty.
- Other duties as assigned.
Master’s degree in a related field and two (2) years or more of the following: advising or related student services utilizing a proactive and innovative approach which results in demonstrated outcomes in Academic Success Advising Coordinator retention, graduation, and academic planning; Or, any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
- Demonstrated knowledge of principles, practices, procedures and methods of evidence-based academic advising strategies.
- Experience with student information systems such as PeopleSoft and DARs.
- Experience with case management software such as Salesforce.
- Experience in directing and providing support to undergraduate students enrolled at the university.
- Experience in problem solving skills, adept at navigating complex environments with evolving priorities and communication plans.
- Experience in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with peers, faculty, students, administration and other interested parties.
- Experience in utilizing knowledge of subject area(s) to identify solutions to issues; escalates urgent/conflicting requests.
- Experience in rapidly mastering the essential new technology, practices, policies and methods.
- Experience in preparing detailed documents, proposals, reports, and/or related materials.
- Experience in providing analysis of data for identification of trends.
- Experience in developing, evaluating and administering advising policies and procedures.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and comfortable working in an environment focused on continuous improvement and innovation.
- Experience in problem solving, and taking initiative and setting priorities, while being flexible.
- Experience in developing action plans to meet goals; establishes milestones and timetables.
- Experience in documenting activities and tracking progress.
- Experience in leading by example in communicating, participating and encouraging support of the institution's sustainability programs.
- Experience in demonstrating sensitivity to needs of a diverse student population.
- Experience in working collaboratively with a broad and diverse range of colleagues, constituents and students.
- Use basic math.
- Deliver presentations.
- Activities are performed in an environmentally controlled office setting.
- Required to stand for varying lengths of time and walk moderate distances to perform work.
- Ability to clearly communicate.
- Use office equipment, i.e. printers, copiers, fax machines, telephones, calculator.
- Regular activities require ability to quickly change priorities, may include/subject to resolution of conflicts.
- Use of software/computer equipment for extended periods of time.
- Use critical thinking to make decisions and/or analyze and report data/results of tests conducted.
The College of Health Solutions (CHS) is dedicated to translating scientific advances into practical interventions to improve health outcomes through education, research and service. We equip students with the knowledge and skills to influence healthier lifestyle choices; develop creative interventions to improve the health of people and populations; analyze and translate large amounts of health data into solutions; and maximize the technology, science, business and application of diagnostics. CHS research programs encompass basic/discovery science, clinical trials, intervention science and measurement of health outcomes. CHS takes an interdisciplinary approach to address the complex systems that underpin health problems. The college is highly collaborative, transparent and team-oriented with an innovative organizational structure that includes translational teams, affinity networks, and academic programs to improve the health of people and communities.
The current training programs include behavioral health, biomedical diagnostics, biomedical informatics, executive and continuing education, exercise science, health promotion, health sciences, kinesiology, medical studies, nutrition, population health, the science of health care delivery, and speech and hearing science. Our programs are offered at ASU’s Downtown Phoenix, Tempe, West and Lake Havasu campuses, as well as on Mayo Clinic’s Scottsdale campus.
For more information about ASU and the College of Health Solutions, visit http://about.asu.edu/ and https://chs.asu.edu
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 80,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit https://wellness.asu.edu/explore-wellness/body/alcohol-and-drugs/tobacco
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Notice of Availability of the ASU Annual Security and Fire Safety Report
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf. You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU Police Department at 480-965-3456.
Relocation Assistance – For information about schools, housing child resources, neighborhoods, hospitals, community events, and taxes, visit https://cfo.asu.edu/relocation-services .
Employment Verification Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.
Background Check Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the background check.
Instructions to Apply
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position.
Resume should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
ASU does not pay for travel expenses associated with interviews, unless otherwise indicated.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.
IMPORTANT NOTE: What is the meaning of “equivalent combination” in the minimum qualifications? It means one year of higher education or 24 credit hours, is equal to one year of experience. For example, a four year Bachelor’s degree is equal to four years of experience.
Retention Coordinator, Georgia State University, United States, 15 days ago
Retention Coordinator - 21000586 Description : First-Year & Transition Programs in the Office of Student Success is seeking to hire a Retention Coordinator who will focus on retention by helping s...
Engagement Facilitator, Toi Ohomai Institute of Technology, New Zealand, 12 days ago
Full Time Application Closes 16 Jun 2021 Bay of Plenty - Rotorua Office and Administrative Support Worker Engagement Facilitator (Rotorua) Fixed Term Fulltime (1.0 FTE) Parental Leave Cover Start ...
Director Of Student Enagement And Leadership, Beloit College, United States, about 10 hours ago
The Director of Student Engagement and Leadership is an integral member of the Student Life team charged with developing and contributing to a positive, inclusive, and lively campus environment. T...
Full Time Chief Officer Of Justice, Equity, Diversity, And Inclusion Northern Essex Community College, Northern Essex Community College, United States, 3 days ago
Location: Lwrence, MA Category: Professional Posted On: Tue Jun 15 2021 Job Description: POSITION: Full-Time Chief Officer of Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion: Center for Equity and...
Assistant Campus Director, Osan Campus, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, United States, about 5 hours ago
Job Description Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Worldwide Campus is currently hiring an Assistant Campus Director (ACD) located at the Osan, South Korea campus. The ACD participates in the g...
Regional Engagement Facilitator , Toi Ohomai Institute of Technology, New Zealand, about 23 hours ago
Full Time Application Closes 23 Jun 2021 Waikato - Tokoroa Educational, Vocational and School Counselor Full-time, Permanent Tokoroa Campus Student Support Toi Ohomai delivers quality vocational e...