ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
The USC Department of Public Safety (DPS) is one of the largest campus public safety departments in the United States employing 300+ full-time personnel and 30 part-time student workers. The department’s primary mission is to provide a safe and secure environment on campus and in the local USC community that allows students, faculty, staff and campus visitors to realize their academic and social pursuits. We seek the best and brightest, individuals who have the aptitude and sense of commitment, those who want to help their community. If you’re ready for an enriching career, one with meaning and challenge, then the USC Department of Public Safety is for you. Within this work, you can find significant achievement, satisfaction and reward.
We are seeking a Community Service Officer I to join our dynamic team. In this important role, you will support the general safety of the university community by performing assigned patrol duties. You will secure the interior and exterior openings of facilities, monitor electronic door access and closed circuit television systems, assist with investigations, and perform perimeter and parking lot security functions. This is an unarmed position working under direct supervision of a Community Service Officer II or a Sergeant.
- Patrols an assigned area. Performs prescribed security checks of buildings, offices, and grounds to prevent loss of university assets. Observes and reports suspicious activity or persons, and security and/or safety hazards. Conducts investigations of losses in accordance with procedures and directions.
- Opens and/or secures building and rooms according to procedures or as directed. Operates and/or monitors electronic door access, closed circuit television systems, and other security related devices. Dispatches or coordinates responses to situations as a result of observations made on CCTV and electronic door access. Assists with access at locations with malfunctioning electronic door access systems.
- Maintains logs and records required to indicate duty times, occurrences, actions taken, observations made, and other relevant information. Prepares and submits reports as required.
- Implements department procedures governing apprehensions, interrogations, and disposition of cases.
- Assists with parking control and vehicle/pedestrian security. Directs traffic and gives directions.
- Assists in maintaining perimeter and crowd control in areas of crimes, emergencies, and special activities.
- Escorts university and hospital employees, students, and/or hospital patients between facilities and their vehicles.
- Assists in crime prevention and public information programs.
- Implements and enforces OSHA, CAL-OSHA, and university policies relating to safety, health, and fire prevention.
- Serves as a Campus Security Authority (CSA) and mandatory reporter under the Clery Act based on university responsibilities. Has responsibility and is required to receive reports of crimes or criminal incidents from victims of crimes and/or third parties; notifies Department of Public Safety immediately of any reported serious crime or criminal incidents that indicates the presence of an ongoing threat to the university community; and notifies the Clery Compliance Coordinator in the Department of Public Safety.
Must be able to report for work in case of emergencies. Must be able to work varied days and shifts: 8 or 10 hours per day, 40 hours per week.
The following are the steps that you will have to go through during the selection process.
- Online application – Must upload current resume. An application, resume and cover letter is required and must be submitted online. Those applicants who are assessed as meeting the position qualifications and desired background experience for successful performance in the position will be invited to continue in the selection process.
- Written Examination – This test consists of questions on basic reading comprehension and customer service.
- Interviews – The interviews will be conducted to assess your knowledge, education, experience, and general ability to successfully perform in the position.
- Psychological Evaluation – The psychological evaluation consists of an individual oral interview and evaluation by a licensed psychologist on factors related to successful performance in the job.
- Medical Exam – The medical exam consists of a job related pre-placement physical exam which includes a drug test, TB skin test, hearing and vision testing.
- Background Screening – The background screening is conducted by HireRight, a third-party administrator and will include criminal background check, SSN Trace, Motor Vehicle Record, National Sex Offender Registry, employment verification, Education and Military Service.
Minimum Education: High school or equivalent Minimum Experience: 0 - 6 months Minimum Field of Expertise: Must possess a valid California Class C driver's license and a valid State of California Department of Consumer Affairs Guard Card.
Hospital Epidemiology Surveillance Specialist Rn Hospital Epidemiology, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, United States, 5 days ago
Requisition # HRC0611008 As a Hospital Epidemiology Surveillance Specialist RN, you will contribute to the provision of high-quality patient care by promoting and implementing infection prevention...
Fire Life Safety Officer, University of California, Los Angeles, United States, 4 days ago
Responsibilities In this role, you will be a OSHPD Designated Campus Fire Marshal who will develop, implement, and monitor environmental and safety programs and policies to ensure compliance with ...
Biomedical Scientist Quality Control, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, United States, 27 days ago
Requisition # HRC0519047A With your help, we can change the future of healthcare! Cedars-Sinai Biomanufacturing Center (CBC) is a new 22,000 square feet, state-of-the-art biomanufacturing facility...
Nuclear Medicine Technologist Ii Imaging, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, United States, 2 days ago
Requisition # HRC0570266 When the work you do every single day has a crucial impact on the lives of others, every effort, every detail, and every second matters. This shared culture of passion and...
Senior Manager, Enterprise Security Operations, City of Hope, United States, 27 days ago
About City of Hope City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 6000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life...
Digital Communication Developer, The California State University, United States, 15 days ago
Campus: Long Beach Job ID: 503141 Job Title: Appointment Type: Probationary Time Base: Full-Time Date Posted: July 16, 2021 Closing Date: July 30, 2021 Benefits Link: CSUEU (Unit 2, 5, 7, 9) Link ...