Requisition Id 5807
Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) seeks an outstanding research leader for the position of Director of the Chemical Sciences Division (CSD). The Division performs discovery and use-inspired research to understand, predict, and control the physical processes and chemical transformations at complex interfaces in diverse environments relevant to energy technologies. The foundation of the division is a strong Basic Energy Sciences (BES) portfolio that pushes the frontiers of catalysis, geoscience, separations, energy storage, polymer science, and interfacial science. Synthesis, neutron scattering and in situ and in operando spectroscopy experiments are integrated with computational modeling and simulations to provide new insights into the structure and dynamics of materials and interfacial processes. Computer-aided molecular design, simulations, and data science are also used to guide the design and synthesis of new materials with superior properties and function. Applied science and technology naturally grow out of the fundamental studies in areas such as energy storage, separations of rare earths, carbon fiber, and molten salt chemistry. The division also provides analytical support and leadership to many nuclear, isotope production, and national security programs through the Nuclear Analytical Chemistry section. The CSD benefits from strong interactions with ORNL scientific user facilities including the Center for Nanophase Materials Sciences, Spallation Neutron Source, High Flux Isotope Reactor, Oak Ridge Leadership Computing Facility, Carbon Fiber Technology Center, and Manufacturing Demonstration Facility.
- Direct and lead forefront chemical sciences research that build off the expertise within CSD, takes advantage of the unique facilities at ORNL, and is aligned with DOE priorities
- Manage, further the impact, and grow DOE Basic Energy Sciences, Chemical Science, Geosciences, and Bioscience programs at ORNL and be responsive to requests from the sponsor
- Ensure Division executes projects and delivers high quality, impactful results consistent with various sponsor expectations
- Oversee division safety culture and ensure that effective environmental safety & health procedures are established, maintained and followed
- Partner and collaborate internally and externally to build strong teams to enhance research, development, and delivery of technological solutions
- Execute line management responsibility including supervision of Division leadership (Section Heads and Group Leaders), budgets, strategic and business planning, salary planning, staff recruitment and development, employee performance and development
- Represent and promote the Division internally and externally to management, sponsors and the public
- Attract a diverse pool of candidates and hire staff who are committed to world-class research and aspire to be the best in their field
- Engage in professional service activities, encourage staff to be professionally active, and nominate staff of professional recognition
- Create and promote a diverse and inclusive work environment that fosters staff engagement and growth
- Promote a culture of scientific excellence and a safe conduct of research
- Maintain a reputation as an organization of integrity, quality, and ethical business and scientific practices
- A PhD degree in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Materials Science or related field
- A minimum of 15 years of professional research experience beyond the doctorate in national laboratories, academics, or industry
- At least five years of experience leading multi-disciplinary research groups or organizations
- A distinguished record of research achievement as evidenced by scholarly publications, patents, and funded research grants
- The ability to obtain and maintain a HSPD-12 PIV badge and/or a clearance from the Department of Energy
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to work independently, set priorities, and to participate creatively in collaborative teams across the laboratory
- Ability to foster and maintain high standards in Environment, Safety, and Health (ES&H) and Quality Assurance for all Division activities
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.
Nearest Major Market: Knoxville
It Technician Division Of Biology, University of Tennessee, United States, about 15 hours ago
IT Technician- Division of Biology - 21000000XA Description IT Technologist I – Division of Biology Regular Full-time, Market Range 07 The primary responsibilities of the Senior IT Technologist I ...
Research Scientist I Chemical Engineering, University of Tennessee, United States, about 15 hours ago
Research Scientist I - Chemical Engineering - 21000000T3 Description Research Scientist Position - Chemical Engineering Understanding and Harnessing Robustness of Non-Model Organisms for Conversio...
Maintenance Specialist/Groundskeeper Rec Sports, University of Tennessee, United States, about 15 hours ago
Maintenance Specialist/Groundskeeper- RecSports - 21000000VD Description Maintenance Specialist/Groundkeeper- RecSports University of Tennessee, Knoxville The Division of Student Life at the Unive...
Communications Coordinator Vice Provost Student Success, University of Tennessee, United States, about 15 hours ago
Communications Coordinator - Vice Provost Student Success - 21000000VZ Description Communications Coordinator - Vice Provost Student Success Regular Full-time, Market Range 07 The Division of Stud...
Assistant Director Undergraduate Research, University of Tennessee, United States, about 15 hours ago
Assistant Director - Undergraduate Research - 21000000UA Description Assistant Director, Undergraduate Research (Regular, Full-Time, Market Range 09) Office of Undergraduate Research & Fellowships...
Customer Relationship Management Administrator Enrollment Management Operations , University of Tennessee, United States, about 16 hours ago
Customer Relationship Management Administrator- Enrollment Management Operations - 210000013G Description Enrollment Management Operations Division of Enrollment Management University of Tenness...