Requisition Id 5805
Who are we looking for?
The Research and Development Systems Engineering (RDSE) Group in the Information Technology Services Division (ITSD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) seeks to hire a Linux Systems Engineer. In this position, this individual will be embedded within our Atmospheric Radiation Measurement (ARM) group in the Energy and Environmental Sciences Directorate doing Linux Server.
Who are we?
Born in secrecy under the Manhattan project of World War II, ORNL has emerged as the U.S. Department of Energy’s largest open science and energy laboratory. Innovation at ORNL is powered by literally thousands of top tier scientists, engineers, and technicians with access to world class facilities including the world’s fastest supercomputer (Summit). We are engaging in open, peer reviewed, interdisciplinary research across multiple application domains from neutrons to biology, from nuclear to manufacturing, and nanophase to national security.
What will you be doing?
The R&D Systems Engineering Group focuses on supporting researcher’s IT needs. Staff charge directly to projects or programs, and not to a centralized budget. Our goal is to enable research while protecting ORNL assets, especially from cyber incidents.
As a Linux Systems Engineer, you will be performing Linux Server and Oracle ZFS System support. You will help maintain system health and provide system analysis to the customer. You will document any work done in accordance to the customer’s direction.
Working at ORNL
ORNL has an innovative and fast paced culture that rewards open source software development, has a flexible work schedule, and very competitive pay with industry. On any given day, after listening to a talk from a Nobel Laureate, you can eat at two full-service cafés’, go to a spin class, or visit the full-service primary care clinic, all without leaving our campus.
Living in East Tennessee
It’s easy to overlook everything East Tennessee has to offer if you haven’t had the opportunity to spend time here. From spending your weekends downtown at Knoxville’s farmers market, the Rhythm n’ Blooms Music Festival, or the Dogwood Arts Festival, to some of the best hiking, kayaking, and camping in the U.S., not only in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park but all over the greater area, East Tennessee has something to offer everyone.
There are various technical tasks that will need to be performed in this role. Some of these tasks can include:
- Troubleshoot various Linux server related issues.
- Provide Oracle ZFS and iX storage support.
- HPSS System support.
- Assist with archiving activities with remote partner labs.
- Install and configure Red Hat Linux Server systems.
- Build out both physical and virtual systems.
- Engineer and provide consultation for custom system solutions.
- Manage, analyze and tune VMware Clusters.
- Work with Developers to maintain customer applications and data flow.
- Perform system upgrades.
- Ensure Backups are completed and assist in any recoveries if needed.
- Document all required work as required by customer.
- Provide advanced Linux Support as needed.
- Monitor system performance.
- Install, configure and maintain system software, both commercial packages and various freely available software (including Apache, MySQL, Postgres, PHP, ZFS, etc.).
- Patch both system and 3rd party vendor software to ensure security and stability. Monitor for patch releases and work with the customers and other admins to ensure the patches are applied in a timely manner.
- Provide consulting in both the selection and purchase of hardware and software.
- Ensure the secure and effective operation of computing systems through compliance with ORNL procedures and IT Internal Operating Procedures.
- Work with other system engineers and vendors to resolve both hardware and software issues.
- Work with local bargaining unit personnel on hardware installation and hardware repairs where it is outside the scope of a vendor.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science (or related field) and at least 7 years work experience supporting Linux Systems.
- Excellent interpersonal skills suitable for user support and the ability to work well with peer system administrators is required.
- Experience with creating scripts using BASH or other scripting languages is required.
- Experience performing troubleshooting and system administration with Linux Servers and VMware Clusters.
- Experience working with HPSS systems.
- Experience in improving archiving processes between partner DOE labs.
- Experience supporting large storage systems.
- Demonstrated capabilities to work in a dynamic environment.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong knowledge of Red Hat Linux operating systems is preferred.
- Strong knowledge of open source web application services, such as Apache, is desired.
- Previous experience working in a government, scientific or other highly technical environment strongly desired.
- Good documentation skills are also desired.
- Docker, CI\CD and GITLab experience
This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a HSPD-12 PIV credential.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.
Nearest Major Market: Knoxville
Associate Professor And Chair, Urology, Knoxville, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, United States, 1 day ago
Associate Professor And Chair, Urology, Knoxville - 210000010B Description THIS IS AN INTERNAL POSITION LOCATED IN KNOXVILLE, TN UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE HEALTH SCIENCE CENTER GRADUATE SCHOOL OF ME...
Help Desk Analyst, University of Tennessee, United States, about 14 hours ago
Help Desk Analyst - 21000000ZG Description Help Desk Analyst II Regular, Full-time, Market Range 6 Job Summary The position will provide phone, email, chat, and walk-in support for a variety of in...
It Technologist Iii, Parking & Transit Services, University of Tennessee, United States, about 14 hours ago
IT Technologist III, Parking & Transit Services - 21000000Y7 Description IT Technologist III Regular, Full-time - MR07 Install, maintain, and support hardware and software. Assist with development...
Temporary Field Technician – Neon Program – Nationwide, National Ecology Observatory Network, United States, 6 days ago
Click for a hub of Extension resources related to the current COVID-19 situation. AgencyNational Ecology Observatory NetworkLocationOak Ridge, TNJob CategoryTemporary/Seasonal PositionsSalary$14.5...
Research Scientist I Innovative Computing Laboratory, University of Tennessee, United States, about 14 hours ago
Research Scientist I - Innovative Computing Laboratory - 21000000XO Description RESEARCH POSITION IN PERFORMANCE MEASUREMENT AND MODELING RESEARCH SCIENTIST I REGULAR, FULL-TIME, MARKET RANGE 13 T...
Digital Communications Manager Arts And Sciences Communications , University of Tennessee, United States, about 13 hours ago
Digital Communications Manager- Arts and Sciences Communications - 21000000XU Description Digital Communications Manager - UT College of Arts and Sciences Regular Fulltime, MR10 The Office of Ar...