Requisition Id 5814
The Building Envelope Materials Research (BEMR) Group in the Building Technologies Research and Integration Center (BTRIC) in the Building and Transportation Science Division (BTSD) at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) is seeking applicants for a Research and Development Staff position. The work in this group supports the U.S. DOE Building Technology Office and other customers by developing state-of-the-art and cost-effective building envelope technologies that make new and existing buildings energy efficient, durable, comfortable, grid-interactive, sustainable, and have low embodied energy.
BEMR is expanding its facilities with a new Advanced Construction Laboratory (ACL) that will focus on identifying, designing, developing, and de-risking technologies that improve the integration of energy efficient technologies into buildings and enhance productivity in construction and renovations. These efforts will include exploring digital manufacturing, full or partial automation, and new construction materials among others. These tasks will be performed in collaboration with academia, national laboratories, and private industries. The Researcher will assist with the setup and operation of this new facility and will perform research in the ACL.
You will be responsible for developing and conducting research in advanced construction. For example:
- Preparing proposals on innovative construction approaches for new buildings and envelope retrofits.
- Conducting, coordinating, and reporting complex research on the development and integration of advanced manufacturing practices into offsite and onsite construction.
- Developing experimental setups, conducting experiments, and analyzing results.
- Presenting research results to ORNL staff, DOE, industry, and academia in the form of invited talks, conference papers, and peer-reviewed journal papers.
- Coordinating the procurement, installation, and operation of new equipment. For example, collaborative robots and respective sensors and controls.
- Collaborating in multidisciplinary teams that are composed of researchers from various areas of expertise at ORNL (e.g, material science, organic and inorganic chemistry, automation, and sensors and controls among others).
- Interacting and collaborating with researchers from universities, national laboratories, and private industry.
MS or PhD in mechanical engineering, civil engineering, industrial engineering, construction engineering, architecture, or related discipline. Required work experience is a minimum of seven years of relevant experience after receiving an MS degree or a minimum of two years of relevant experience after receiving a PhD degree. Knowledge of building construction, energy efficiency in buildings, and prefabrication of building components is required. Ability to envision the cost-effective integration of advanced manufacturing techniques into construction and the development of new materials that optimize construction productivity is a must. Experience with manufacturing science and technology, flexible industrial automation, human machine interaction, and/or optimization of factory production lines is required.
The candidate should have
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.
Nearest Major Market: Knoxville
Temporary Field Technician – Neon Program – Nationwide, National Ecology Observatory Network, United States, 6 days ago
Click for a hub of Extension resources related to the current COVID-19 situation. AgencyNational Ecology Observatory NetworkLocationOak Ridge, TNJob CategoryTemporary/Seasonal PositionsSalary$14.5...