Research Assistant, Laboratory - (210000HY)
The University of Maryland School of Medicine (UMSOM) is seeking a full-time Laboratory Research Assistant to join the Department of Obstetrics, Gynecologic and Reproductive Sciences (OB-GYN). This position will join the research team focused on studying the impact of adverse intrauterine environments on the mother, placenta, and fetus using a pregnant animal model. The research approach focuses on the effects of hypoxia (reduced oxygenation) on the cardiovascular system of the fetus and subsequent consequences in the offspring. All studies are performed in accordance with animal welfare regulations, USDA, the Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals, Public Health Services (PHS), Office of Laboratory Animal Welfare (OLAW), and Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACC) guidelines.
UMB offers a comprehensive and competitive benefits package to eligible employees. This position receives an annual leave package starting with 22 accrued vacation days, 14 floating and observed holidays, 15 sick days, and 3 personal days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; professional learning and development opportunities; flexible schedules and teleworking options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any of the University System of Maryland schools.
In the Fall of 2021, UMB will require all faculty, staff, and students to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Exemptions for medical or religious reasons will be processed through Human Resources.
• Perform routine laboratory maintenance and research activities such as: general housekeeping, preparing solutions, and buffers, executing biochemical procedures such as electrophoresis, immunoblotting, tissue/protein extractions, and enzymatic assays.
• May perform advanced laboratory research activities such as animal surgery, microscopy techniques, imaging techniques, protein purification, and mitochondrial isolation.
• Perform data analysis, graphics generation, and file organization using various relevant computer software applications.
• May assist with literature research, manuscript preparation, and computer graphics for publication.
• May perform duties such as training and guiding new laboratory personnel in bench techniques, and equipment use.
• Perform administrative duties such as ordering supplies for laboratory and laboratory personnel.
Education: Bachelors in Biology, Chemistry or in a field of study related to the research of the laboratory.
Preferred: Experience doing bench research that includes tissue/protein collection/preparation, sample storage, commercial assays, and other standard procedures. Should have computer proficiency in standard software programs such as Microsoft Word, Excel, graphics programs, etc.
Other: Bachelor’s degree in an unrelated field with at least 18 credits in a field related to the research of the clinic or laboratory, as appropriate, or Bachelor’s degree in unrelated field with at least one year of experience in a field directly related to the research of the clinic or laboratory, as appropriate. Except for qualifications established by law, additional related experience and formal education in which one has gained the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the work of the job class may be substituted for the education or experience requirement on a year-for year basis with 30 college credits being equivalent to one year of experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Skill in animal husbandry care/handling of small animals such as rodents
- Skill in data collection and analysis using graphics and statistical software, as well as, spreadsheet and database software applications.
- Ability to understand and utilize scientific/medical terminology and research theory and present with excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Ability to use measurable and verifiable information for making decisions or judgments and the ability to network with, and provide information to key groups and individuals and work as part of a team.
- Possesses a knowledge of position requirements and able to perform position in compliance with all requirements/ regulations/laws. Assumes personal responsibility for all outcomes; makes effective and timely decisions; and learns how to effectively use technology. Maintains productivity and uses knowledge strategies to increase knowledge base.
- Ability to maintain high standards with the work being performed.
- Effectively communicate both verbal and written thoughts, ideas, and facts. Write and present information in a clear and concise way. Interpret and understand written information and is able to listen attentively to verbal and non-verbal cues that lead to a deeper understanding.
Hiring Range: Commensurate with education and experience.
UMB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law or policy. For assistance related to employment, please contact the Staffing department at HRJobs@umaryland.edu .
If you anticipate needing a reasonable accommodation for a disability under the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), during any part of the employment process, please submit a UMB Job Applicant Accommodation Request . You may also contact HRDiversity@umaryland.edu . Please note that only inquiries concerning an ADA request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
: Reg or CII Exempt Staff - E3303C
Employee Class : Exempt Regular
Full Time/Part Time: Full-Time
: Day Job
Financial Disclosure: No
: School of Medicine - Obstetrics, Gynecologic and Reproductive Sciences
: May 21, 2021
: Jun 4, 2021, 11:59:00 PM
Capable Research Nurse , Johns Hopkins University, United States, 23 days ago
The School of Nursing seeks a CAPABLE Research Nurse (Research Nurse) to work on two studies: CAPABLE Family and DAPPER. The responsibilities will be similar for each. For CAPABLE , the Research...
Radiologist Assistant , Johns Hopkins University, United States, about 4 hours ago
The Department of Radiology at Bayview Medical Center is seeking a Radiologist Assistant (RA). The RA enhances patient care by extending the capacity of the radiologist in the diagnostic imaging e...
Academic Program Assistant Ep , Johns Hopkins University, United States, 1 day ago
Engineering for Professionals (EP) is the part-time, graduate division of the Whiting School of Engineering at Johns Hopkins University. We offer master’s degrees, post-baccalaureate certificates ...
Program/General Associate (Part Time), University of Maryland, Baltimore County, United States, about 6 hours ago
Program/General Associate (Part-Time) Apply now Job no: 493397 Work type: Temporary (Hourly) Location: UMBC Campus Categories: Administrative/Clerical Support, Program Coordination Department: Dre...
General Associate (Part Time), University of Maryland, Baltimore County, United States, 3 days ago
General Associate (Part-Time) Apply now Job no: 493397 Work type: Temporary (Hourly) Location: UMBC Campus Categories: Administrative/Clerical Support, Program Coordination Department: Dresher Cen...
Accounting Associate, University of Maryland, Baltimore County, United States, about 6 hours ago
Accounting Associate Apply now Job no: 493393 Work type: Staff Full-time Location: UMBC Campus Categories: Administrative/Clerical Support, Business/Accounting/Finance Department: Student Business...