Back to search results Apply now Job no:711907
Work type:Faculty/Academic Staff
Major Administrative Unit / College: Asc Provost For Undergraduate Education
Department: Neighborhood Success Collaborative 10053839
Sub Area: FAS- Fac./Acad Staff
Salary: 55000.00-58000.00 Salary Commensurate with Experience
Categories:Student Services/Student Affairs, Fixed Term Academic Staff, Full Time (90-100%), Non-Union
Specialist - Advisor Fixed Term - Detroit Made
Reporting to the Detroit MADE Scholars Assistant Director, the Coordinator will lead the development of all programming to support the access, persistence, and success of students within the Detroit MADE program. This includes but is not limited to event planning and coordination of program orientations, high-impact experiences, academic support workshops, and career development efforts. This programming will be framed around student success with themes that connect to the City of Detroit. The Coordinator will actively recruit students to participate in the Program and ensure successful intake, documentation, and transition to MSU. This position requires occasional nights and weekends
- Teach/Co-teach Detroit MADE Program first-year seminar (UGS110-1 credit) as requested.
- Lead the planning, management, and implementation of programming for Detroit MADE with a particular focus on high-impact experiences (service learning and study abroad), program orientations, academic support workshops, and career development efforts.
- Coordinate activities that promote program connection and participant retention. Activities include: career development, undergraduate research opportunities, academic support workshops and social activities, and academic recognition.
- Support Assist Director in developing communication campaigns for Detroit MADE staff to deliver to foster community and positive academic behaviors.
- May be assigned a caseload of Detroit MADE students to coach and mentor with respect to academic success.
- Track and report progress of recruitment and programming efforts.
- Develop learning outcomes and assessment strategies for each programming effort that aligns with program and unit goals.
- Monitor, analyze, and report learning outcomes assessment results from programming efforts.
- Utilize technology platforms to organize, manage, and maintain program data on participants in order to assist in the measurement of learning outcomes and program goals.
- Participate in Pathway Programs outreach and serve as the liaison to students exploring the Detroit MADE program.
- Utilize technology platforms to collect, organize, document, and report student recruitment/intake information.
- Work closely with NSSC outreach staff and committees
- Work with Pathway Programs group for recruitment activities with campus stakeholders, school districts, community partners, and other organizations that provide access to prospective and MSU admitted students.
- Collaborate and coordinate with units/programs across campus including faculty, staff, administrators, other University programs, to ensure student success.
- Serve on relevant Pathway Program, NSSC, and campus committees.
- Other duties as assigned.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or protected veteran status.
Masters -higher education, student affairs
Master’s degree or equivalent experience in higher education, student affairs, or another related field. Experience with intensive cohort-based student support programs and academic advising in higher education; strong communication skills. Demonstrated competency in workplace technologies and evidence of promoting effective teamwork among faculty and staff. Experience with student support technology systems.
- Proven commitment to undergraduate student success
- Excellent communication skills; including an ability to work diplomatically and effectively with campus partners
- Demonstrated ability to work with students and colleagues from diverse backgrounds
- Ability to access, understand, and interpret data from multiple sources to facilitate and promote student success through pro-active and innovative student services
- Ability to use data to evaluate individual and group efforts to promote student success
- Computer literacy including Microsoft Office Products
The ideal candidate will have experience within a college or university setting; knowledge of undergraduate student success concepts, theories and/or practice; and working with diverse undergraduate students. Equity, diversity and inclusion lens. Professional or personal experience related to Detroit and related topics due to the geographic focus of the program. Knowledge of access, recruitment, and retention in higher education with experience in student recruitment. Event planning and student programming skills with experience utilizing learning outcomes assessment to analyze and improve. Strong data management and organizational skills.
Required Application Materials
Cover Letter and Resume to the attention of Committee Chair
Michigan State University has been advancing the common good with uncommon will for more than 160 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community through more than 200 programs of study in 17 degree-granting colleges.
Advertised:Jun 22, 2021 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close:Jul 13, 2021 Eastern Daylight Time
Ast Prof/Asc Prof/Prof Fixed Term, Michigan State University, United States, about 17 hours ago
Working/Functional Title Ast Prof/Asc Prof/Prof - Fixed Term Position Summary The successful candidate will work with multi-disciplinary teams to develop, coordinate, and teach data science course...
Assistant Or Associate Professor In Isotope Biogeochemistry, Michigan State University, United States, about 2 months ago
Michigan State University (MSU) seeks applications for a tenure stream Assistant or Associate Professor in isotope biogeochemistry. Areas of particular interest include plant, soil, and microbial ...
Specialist Teacher Fixed Term, Michigan State University, United States, about 17 hours ago
Position Summary Successful candidates will teach both undergraduate and masterâs courses in statistics and probability, will work with multi-disciplinary teams to develop and coordinate courses...
Conservation Intern: Mason, Mi, Ingham Conservation District, United States, 2 months ago
Click for a hub of Extension resources related to the current COVID-19 situation. AgencyIngham Conservation DistrictLocationMason, MIJob CategoryInternshipsSalary12.00/hrStart Date06/14/2021Last D...
Bird Bander, Fall Migration, Michigan, Michigan State Bird Observatory, United States, about 1 month ago
Click for a hub of Extension resources related to the current COVID-19 situation. AgencyMichigan State Bird ObservatoryLocationEast Lansing/Bath, MichiganJob CategoryTemporary/Seasonal PositionsSa...