Requisition Id 5810
The Nuclear Nonproliferation Division (NND) at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) performs a wide range of scientific, technical, and programmatic activities in all facets of the nuclear enterprise from nonproliferation, nuclear security, to research and development (R&D) pertaining to nuclear materials processing and security. The Transportation Security Engineering and Analysis Group (TSEA) within NND seeks applications for a Senior Transportation Security Research Professional. The candidate will lead projects across the DOE complex on a variety of international and domestic transportation security activities. The individual will manage a variety of projects related to transportation security, Security program area of NNSA’s Office of Defense Nuclear Nonproliferation (NA-20), the position may also support projects sponsored by other NA-20 program areas and the Department of State, the Defense Threat Reduction Agency, the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), Department of Energy Office of Nuclear Energy, and the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC).
The National Security Sciences Directorate conducts research and development to confront some of the nation’s most difficult security challenges and adversaries. Our directorate houses S&T leadership in cybersecurity and cyber-physical resiliency, data analytics, geospatial science and technology, nuclear nonproliferation, and high-performance computing for sensitive national security missions. We draw on the Laboratory’s exceptional facilities and work closely with leading researchers in other areas at the lab such as nuclear and chemical sciences and engineering, applied materials, advanced manufacturing, biosecurity, transportation, and computing. Our multi-disciplinary research teams are passionate about discovery and innovation as we create science-based solutions to complex security threats that put public safety, national defense, energy infrastructure, and the economy at risk.
Our commitment to diversity: As we strive to become the world’s premier research institution in the sciences and technologies that underpin critical national security missions, we are committed to creating an inclusive environment that highly values a diverse workforce. We recognize that a breadth of perspectives, insights, and experiences are necessary to drive the level of innovation and discovery that is mission critical to national security sciences. Our commitment extends beyond our workforce to the next generation of researchers with STEM education outreach that seeks to engage a diverse range of students.
- Lead efforts supporting the Office of Radiological Security Offsite Source Recovery Program at ORNL, including package testing and program management,
- Design and develop engineered systems supporting physical protection of nuclear and other radioactive material during transport,
- Support research and projects related to domestic implementation of transportation security in the United States,
- Develop new avenues of research advancing transport security of Chemical, Biological, Radiological, Nuclear, and Explosive (CBRNE) assets,
- Contribute to research and scholarly publications in nuclear security, focusing on the application and deployment of packaging and operations as they relate to transport security,
- Lead projects with direct reports to the Group Leader, Section Head, and federal managers,
- Collaborate with ORNL personnel, scientists, technical, and craft personnel for production and research projects internally and externally to ORNL,
- Mentor early-career staff focused on packaging, operations, and security of material during transport,
- Ensure compliance with environment, safety, health, and quality program requirements, and
- Maintain strong commitment to the implementation and perpetuation of values and ethics.
- Requires a Ph.D. with 6 years of experience or a M.S. with a minimum of 12 years of experience, or B.S. with 15 years of experience and a focus on nuclear engineering, mechanical engineering, or systems engineering.
- Strong scholarly record in the area of nuclear, radiological security, or transportation security, including technical reports, presentations at international conferences, and peer-reviewed publications.
- Field experience in packaging, testing, and transport operations for the movement of Class 7 materials.
- Experience managing medium sized projects relating to transportation of Class 7 materials.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal) to interact with co-workers, customers, design, research, development, and vendor personnel.
- Ability and commitment to writing reports on weekly, monthly, and project summary basis as well as collaborating on journal publications and conference presentations.
- Ability to lead technical and research project teams.
- Computer skills and competence with Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point required.
- Self-starter able to set priorities to accomplish goals and meet milestones independently and collaboratively in a team environment.
This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a clearance from the Department of Energy. As such, this position is a Workplace Substance Abuse (WSAP) testing designated position. WSAP positions require passing a pre-placement drug test and participation in an ongoing random drug testing program.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.
Nearest Major Market: Knoxville
Administrative Associate 2 College Of Education, Health, & Human Science, University of Tennessee, United States, about 15 hours ago
Administrative Associate 2 - College of Education, Health, & Human Science - 21000000U6 Description Administrative Associate 2 - College of Education, Health, & Human Science Regular Full-time, Ma...
Temporary Field Technician – Neon Program – Nationwide, National Ecology Observatory Network, United States, 6 days ago
Click for a hub of Extension resources related to the current COVID-19 situation. AgencyNational Ecology Observatory NetworkLocationOak Ridge, TNJob CategoryTemporary/Seasonal PositionsSalary$14.5...
Veterinary Technician I Or Ii, University of Tennessee, United States, about 15 hours ago
Veterinary Technician I or II - 21000000Z1 Description Veterinary Technician I or II The College of Veterinary Medicine is seeking a Veterinary Technician to perform patient care in the Soft Tissu...
Coordinator I Institute For Secure & Sustainable Environment, University of Tennessee, United States, about 15 hours ago
Coordinator I - Institute for Secure & Sustainable Environment - 21000000T2 Description East Tennessee Clean Fuels Coalition - Institute for a Secure and Sustainable Environment University of Tenn...
Maintenance Specialist/Groundskeeper Rec Sports, University of Tennessee, United States, about 15 hours ago
Maintenance Specialist/Groundskeeper- RecSports - 21000000VD Description Maintenance Specialist/Groundkeeper- RecSports University of Tennessee, Knoxville The Division of Student Life at the Unive...
Associate Professor And Chair, Urology, Knoxville, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, United States, about 1 hour ago
Associate Professor And Chair, Urology, Knoxville - 210000010B Description THIS IS AN INTERNAL POSITION LOCATED IN KNOXVILLE, TN UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE HEALTH SCIENCE CENTER GRADUATE SCHOOL OF ME...